House explosion in Alabama, witness of trick-or-treaters, injures 1 person; Firefighters fight fire
A house exploded in a neighborhood in Fultondale on Sunday evening, sending a person to the hospital.
The explosion – presumably from a gas leak – occurred in the 1600 block of Elkwood Drive in the Timber Trails neighborhood, which had been cordoned off because it’s an area popular with trick-or-treaters.
Fire chief Justin McKenzie said authorities were first informed of a gas smell by trick-or-treaterners and the explosion occurred moments later.
Jordan Jones was with his girlfriend ABigail Shanks and their four children. They said they had just finished trick or treating there when they heard screams and a series of explosions. “We heard screams and thought it might be a haunted house that they scared people in, but then we saw flames,” he said.
Their vehicle was parked at a church that was right next to the house. “It sounded like grenades were going off,” said Jones.
McKenzie said no trick-or-treaters were injured, but one worker who responded to the gas leak was rushed to hospital with minor to moderate injuries. Firefighters were also not injured.
According to McKenzie, there were about 200 people in the area at the time of the explosion. He said more than 800 usually visit the neighborhood on Halloween night, and come from all over northern Jefferson County.
“With so many people here, we’re grateful that there weren’t any other injuries,” said McKenzie.